Pinkston is looking for an experienced and creative Staff Writer with a passion for strategic communication, language and persuasive writing. The Staff Writer will collaborate with account managers and company executives to generate original writing in support of corporate and non-profit clients across a range of interests and specialties. A successful Staff Writer will be detail-oriented, comfortable proofreading and editing, adept at multitasking, and thrive in a cooperative, fast-paced work environment.
The writer will work at our Falls Church, Virginia office. This is a mid-level position. Salary is negotiable based on experience.
- Status: Exempt
- Work Location: Falls Church, Virginia
- Travel: Minimal, less than 5%
- Produce a range of written materials including op-eds, press releases, white papers, talking points and other writing as necessary on tight deadlines. (80%)
- Engage in client-facing meetings and discovery processes to gain insight into client messaging goals. (10%)
- Provide timely edits and review written content from other staff writers across teams while maintaining deadlines. (10%)
- Support PR team with additional editing and written communication as needed.
Skills & Qualifications
- 1-2 years of professional writing experience.
- Ability to synthesize and translate information into persuasive arguments.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and balance multiple projects across several diverse clients.
- Ability to provide and receive editorial feedback on writing from Editors, Staff Writers, PR Staff and clients.
- Willingness to collaborate across teams to ensure quality output.
- Initiative to self-start and problem-solve independently in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Comfortable collaborating closely with a small team of public relations professionals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Alignment with Pinkston’s guiding principles.
- Research skills; familiarity with AP Style.
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, Creative Writing, Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Background in or familiarity with journalism and media.
- Familiarity with and interest in current events.
- Experience with Slack & Google Workspace.
Who We Are
Pinkston is a strategic communications firm that builds world-changing outcomes for its clients and their communities. For more than 20 years, Pinkston has helped clients in a diverse range of industries find and refine their stories and share them with the world in unique and impactful ways. Our vision is to help our clients solve their toughest strategic challenges and make an outsized impact on their organization and the worlds they touch.
Pinkston offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes company-sponsored health, dental, and vision plans accompanied by employer-funded life insurance, HRA, and short-term disability plan. Optional long-term disability and additional Life Insurance are also available. Pinkston provides a 401k retirement plan and contributes to each employee’s retirement annually regardless of employee participation.
At Pinkston, we believe great things happen when people come together, and are committed to building a collaborative in-person work environment. Pinkston is also committed to a healthy work-life balance. We offer flexibility through an innovative hybrid work model that gives team members the opportunity to work 30% of the time remotely. Pinkston provides generous holiday and vacation policies, paid parental leave, and an additional week of paid “volunteer time off” to encourage employees to invest time in a 501C non-profit of their choice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pinkston is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Pinkston makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.