Pinkston is currently seeking a Director, Web Development to join the Digital Media team. The Director, Web Development will be responsible for the technical oversight and management of all Pinkston digital web projects across all client portfolios. Working in collaboration with other Pinkston departments, the leader will partner on strategy and standards for all digital assets including maintaining, enhancing, and innovating with a customer-first focus in mind.
Who We Are
Pinkston is an international strategic communications consultancy that offers an integrated collection of earned- and owned-media capabilities, including strategy, messaging and writing, media relations, social media, video production, web development, digital marketing and graphic design. Founded in 2001 and based in the Washington, D.C. area, Pinkston serves a wide range of clients including Fortune 100 companies, innovative technology startups, national non-profit organizations, international industry associations and numerous New York Times best-selling authors.
This leader will adopt an agile yet stable and secure approach to web development and will oversee all UX/UI design and work closely with various cross-functional departments. The leader is expected to have proven experience in building highly complex websites and strong technical background and experience with modern technologies and leveraging best practices in the areas of web, open-source tech solutions, and in managing software development and agile methodologies. This role is expected to apply leading-edge practices to solve business challenges and develop a culture of high performance, urgency, and productivity.
- Embrace the vision to lead the development of a hybrid in-house/outsourced web development model to include the development of key business and customer-facing solutions.
- Partner with key vendors to build plans and teams and coordinate the use of external resources involved in the digital program, including but not limited to, interviewing, negotiating contracts and fees, and managing external resources
- Design organization, recruit, and hire technical talent with a focus on web application technical needs, governance, quality assurance, and support models.
- Direct a team of web professionals by developing effective training procedures, appropriate task assignments, positive customer experiences and top-quality control processes
- Implement software development tools, technology, and development methodologies.
- Collaborate with other Pinkston media departments to plan and execute projects by ensuring that teams have appropriate technical specifications, clear and concise direction and resources to deliver projects effectively and on target
- Collaborate and provide guidance to both digital creative teams and back-end developers to improve website usability and overall customer experience
- Manage relationship with client IT Services Project Management, Security, IT Infrastructure and Application Development teams to ensure product enhancements are integrated into backend systems per requirements and delivered on schedule and within budget
- Lead and play a leadership role in sprint planning meetings to ensure that the team understands their objectives and is committed to completing their work on an agreed-upon timeline
- Execute on supporting key business systems and continuous improvement of existing client software applications, and influence change to improve performance and time to market.
- Direct strategy on Web site(s) architecture and overall site structure within the context of the Content Management System; manage web development projects, resources and teams
- Lead research efforts into current and emerging Web technologies and issues in support of Web development efforts
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent related technical field, Masters Degree preferred.
- At least 15 years of experience leading and overseeing digital technology platforms including web content management and eCommerce systems.
- Proven experience and track record in designing and overseeing responsive, scalable, high-performing, and flexible integrated website solutions
- Proven experience in managing web and eCommerce solutions in a retail customer-focused environment, and incorporating Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Management components into those solutions
- Experience working with marketing teams using funnel analysis technique to identify key traffic sources, identify high-exit points, and implement changes designed to improve website conversion rates
- Significant experience developing teams and building technical bench strength of group
- Experience with dev/ops and modern environments and guiding agile teams
- Experience with the architecture, design and development of APIs and microservices
- Experience with php/HTML 5 and other web development frameworks.
- Experience in developing secure websites and secure development practices
- Experience and knowledge of analytics integration, preferably Adobe Analytics